La Reina

Default food in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Guadalajara

"lslep" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I will be traveling to San Miguel, Guanajuato, Guadalajara and maybe Lake
> Chapala the first week in April and would like some food suggestions to

try,
> both restaurants and markets to browse for hard to find supplies. I live

in
> Austin, TX, so I'm looking for a break from TexMex, and the only things I
> would bring back are items that I can't get here. Are there any unusual
> kitchen gadgets that I should look for?
>
> From a.f.m-x archives, it looks like birria is the specialty of

Guadalajara.
> I didn't find any specific foods mentioned for Guanajuato, and I would

like
> to try something more than the candy mummies I got last time I was there.
> San Miguel sounds like it is bowing under the culinary pressure of the

large
> population of USA expats, but there must be some original flavors

surviving
> that.
>
> Thanks,
> Leona

I just wanted to say that GTO is so beautiful and you are so lucky to go, I
have a lot of family there!! I think that you can get all the kitchen
gadgets here in the US but the thing I can never find is a good tamale pan.
I hope you have a great time there and enjoy yourself!!

Reina