Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Look for 1980's Quaker Oats Cookie Recipe

Michael Kuettner wrote:

> Could you please post your recipe for Linzertorte ?

I've been working on it for a while and don't yet have one recipe that I
make all the time and am satisfied with the results. I'm glad to share
what I know.

I started with the recipe in Silver Palate.
If you add more flour, the dough is easier to work with.
If you add too much flour, you lose the delicate flavor of the almonds.
If you don't add enough flour, you end up with the linzer torte soup
that I mentioned last post.
If it looks like you're getting soup, turn down the oven temp and keep
praying. Mine lost the lovely lattice top, but it did firm up enough to
serve and wow my classmates.
Despite everyone else's opinion, raspberry seeds do not improve jam.
You need a good tasting jam to make good linzer torte.
Cassis jam is traditional in Germany. Raspberry jam is traditional in
the U.S. I've been going wild with strawberry jam, apricot jam, and
blackberry jam. You can't go wrong as long as you start with good
tasting jam.
It is nearly impossible to guess in advance how much jam you'll need to
cover how much dough. Have extra, and be prepared not to use all of it.
I like a strong almond flavor. I added almond extract.
I also added more spice, especially cloves and nutmeg.
Much as I love orange and lemon zest in baked goods, and while they're
traditional, their flavors didn't come through in linzer torte.

And that's it. I don't have a recipe. I have a bunch of notes
scribbled in cookbooks.

--Lia