Jay P Francis

Default Carnitas today on Rick Bayless

I put two frozen pork shoulders in my crockpot this morning and set the time
and cooking temperature to low and 8 hours. About two hours later I checked
them and they were nicely on their way to thawing, so, I added a teaspoon of
Kosher salt and some home-made chili powder (roasted ancho chiles, seeded and
stemmed, and ground fine in a coffee grinder) and two cups of onion slices.
This was adjusted to high and 6 hours. At the end of the 6 hours, I had an
excellent broth and melt in your mouth tender pork.