The Ranger

Default Tacos al Pastor

Douglas S. Ladden > wrote in message
. 224.154...
> > If you get the chance, visit Mountain View's La Bamba
> > Tacqueria on Old Middlefield and Rengsdorf. Awesome
> > al pastor! (Good value, too.)
> >

> I'm pretty dang sure I was there two weeks ago, and I don't
> even remember seeing "Al Pastor" on their offerings. Dang!
> Had I known! It was my first time there, and I had the
> Carnitas Burrito. It was alright, but nothing I'd write home
> about.

Yeah, the carnitas burrito isn't that great... The carne asada and al pastor
are excellent!

> You are, however, not the first person to rave about this place. [..]
> On the subject of Bay Area Mexican Restaurants, I'd love to hear
> any other recommendations you have.

Sub to ba.food. And then google for the infamous Burrito Wars thread... The
Transgressions of the South Against the North had nothing on that! <G>

> >> This recipe seems the same as the one in the other post.
> >>

> > It probably is the same; I wouldn't think that there isn't
> > too much variety in the ingredients or preparation. Sort
> > of like "chicken soup;" there are only so many ways to
> > make it. <G>
> >

> Actually, that's so not true in this context. In Mexico, at
> least, every vendor guards, as though it were a state secret,
> their particular "al pastor" recipe. Apparently this trade
> secret is the reason many people go to a particular vendor
> over another, because of their unique recipe. And like I
> said before, there is one particular guy in Mexico who
> makes it simply divine! I want HIS recipe. *grin*

Hmmm. The parts of Mexico I've visited were less concerned about guarding
their Mayan Secrets and Aztec Gold and more concerned with my always-open
wallet. Thank the gahds my guides were natives; some of those vendors
wouldn't shut up when we'd start talking to them! <G>

The Ranger