Tex-Mex

Default Tacos al Pastor

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 224.154...
> I have been getting a serious craving for Tacos al Pastor, and it
> looks like my trips to Mexico keep getting postponed, so I call upon the
> wisdom of the NewsGroup. Can someone help me make some decent Tacos al
> Pastor at home, without the Trompo that they are normally made on?
>
> I know that we should start with very thinly sliced pork meat, but
> from there, I don't really have a clue. Thanks for any tips, ideas, etc.
> that you are willing to post!

This is made very much in like Gyros meat.
The pork is ground super fine, mixed with spices
and packed onto a shaft (Trompo) and roasted a layer at a time.
It is impossible to re-create without extensive preparation.
The important spices are : garlic
achiote paste
cider vinegar
citrus peel
dried oregano
guajillo chile powder
cumin

The important part of serving is the grilled pineapple,
marinated RED onions and chopped cilantro.

El comer feliz.