Douglas S. Ladden

Default Tacos al Pastor

"The Ranger" > on 02 Feb 2004 suggested:

> Douglas S. Ladden > wrote in message
> . 224.154...
> [Snip-O'-Matic employed on text]
>> Okay, this is very different than what I consider a "Taco
>> al Pastor", but not unlike what they serve here in the bay
>> area.

> [snip]
>
> If you get the chance, visit Mountain View's La Bamba Tacqueria on
> Old Middlefield and Rengsdorf. Awesome al pastor! (Good value, too.)

I'm pretty dang sure I was there two weeks ago, and I don't even
remember seeing "Al Pastor" on their offerings. Dang! Had I known! It
was my first time there, and I had the Carnitas Burrito. It was
alright, but nothing I'd write home about. You are, however, not the
first person to rave about this place. Also, I'll give it another
chance, because the guy who took me there (who raves about it) said that
the cook in the back was not the usual cook.

On the subject of Carnitas, the best Carnitas I've had anywhere
were at a restaurant called "La Quinta" up in San Francisco, on Mission
near 21st, I think. Fresh, handmade tortillas really top off the
wonderful dining experience. And at least the last time I was there,
the value was the best!

On the subject of Bay Area Mexican Restaurants, I'd love to hear
any other recommendations you have. One of my favorites, especially for
Mole, is La Milpa, in Milpitas, off of Milpitas Blvd., near OSH.

>> > Here's one from:
>> > http://www.mexgrocer.com/531-tacos-al-pastor.html
>> >

>> This recipe seems the same as the one in the other post.

> It probably is the same; I wouldn't think that there isn't too much
> variety in the ingredients or preparation. Sort of like "chicken
> soup;" there are only so many ways to make it. <G>

Actually, that's so not true in this context. In Mexico, at
least, every vendor guards, as though it were a state secret, their
particular "al pastor" recipe. Apparently this trade secret is the
reason many people go to a particular vendor over another, because of
their unique recipe. And like I said before, there is one particular
guy in Mexico who makes it simply divine! I want HIS recipe. *grin*

--Douglas