Wayne Lundberg

Default tacos tapatios

"BW" > wrote in message
news:230120042105593572%brook.nospam.watts@comcast .net...

..snip

> Wayne, your normally accurate depiction of Mexican food culture is off
> here. Your description of pulque is correct however Mexcal and Tequila
> use the fully harvested (ie, cut out of the ground) corazon del maguey
> cooked to convert the starches to sugar, squeezed then distilled into
> liqour. They are not distilled from pulque.

You are technically correct and of course real Tequila must come from the
town of Tequila and is made under a very specific NOM... but I have seen
Mezcal made from aguamiel, which is pulque fermented... Perhaps not a legal
label, but like backyard aguardiente made from sugar cane, some mezcales are
made from pulque. Pulque contains about 12 alcohol; same as a wine, and the
alcohol is distilled from it. Blame the Spanish because before them the
Amerindians only had corn beer and pulque to get drunk with. I think.

Wayne