Rich McCormack

Default Christmas breakfast...

For the last 30 years, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast
has centered around Huevos con Chorizo served with soft and crisp
fried corn tortillas and flour tortillas heated on a comal to fold
around either taco or burrito style. The side dishes (and even the
chorizo itself) have varied over the years to avoid getting into
a "traditional rut" but usually include beans and rice, potatoes or
Sopa Seca de Fideo; chips 'n salsa and Mexican beer. Other things
that often show up are Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, sliced
avocado or guacamole, small sweet tamales and empanadas or whatever
else seems like it might compliment the center piece...

Huevos con Chorizo

1 pound - Mexican-style chorizo
1 - medium size, firm tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 - medium size onion, chopped
1/4 - poblano or Anaheim chile, seeded and chopped
1/4 - jalapeno chile, seeded and finely diced
1 - serrano chile, thinly sliced crosswise
1/4 cup - fresh cilantro, chopped
1 dozen - fresh eggs, slightly beaten
as needed - additional lard or vegetable oil if chorizo is lean

Add chorizo to a skillet and break apart with a spatula. If the
chorizo is in casings, peel or squeeze it from the casing and
discard the casing. Add a little lard or vegetable oil if the
chorizo is lean. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove chorizo
with a slot spoon and set aside. Pour off excess fat from the
skillet, leaving approx. 2 tablespoons. Add tomato, onion, and
chiles to the skillet and cook until soft. Return the chorizo
to the pan, add cilantro and eggs and cook until eggs are set
as desired.

This year, per my wife's request, I'm making Chorizo de Toluca for
the chorizo and eggs. On the side will be brothy beans and fried
sliced or diced (haven't made up my mind yet) potatoes with chopped
red and green chiles and onion (essentially Potatoes O'Brien made
with mild to medium heat chiles instead of red and green bell peppers)
along with Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, chips 'n salsa and
cervezas to wash it down.

Lookin' forward to it...

Rich