Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Thanksgiving wines from MSR, Champagne, Burgundy, and Napa

Thanksgiving at my brother's home. 16 people, and still we had three
times as much food as needed: 2 turkeys (1 roast, 1 fried), 3 trays of
different dressing/stuffing, twice-baked potatoes, sweet potatoes,
green beans, corn, squash casserole, ham, pumpkin pies, peanut butter
pie, blueberry pie, apple pie, pound cake. And about 10 other things.

The wines:
2005 Cakebread Chardonnay
My sister in law likes buttery Chardonnay, this is firmly in that
camp. Big pear fruit, a touch of apple, big dose of movie theater
"butter'. Vanilla and a hint of quince, big and maybe a tad hot. Not
my style, others liked better. B-

1997 Roederer Cristal Champagne
I started calling my brother "Puff Dougy." I think this was a gift.
Actually, I liked this Cristal from a non-heralded vintage more than
some from big vintages. Definite yeasty Parker roll notes, but a
little lighter and racier than some Cristals, which I have found
ponderous. Good length, freshness. B/B+

2002 Maximum Grunhauser Abtsberg Kabinett
Peaches and slate, good acidity, good length. Light and easy to drink
(listed as 7.5% abv!) with moderate sweetness. Easy food matcher, good
wine even if supposedly from a weak period. B+

2001 Domaine Bachelet Gevrey Chambertin Vieilles Vignes
Tight at first, blossomed with some air. Bright sappy raspberry and
black cherry fruit, deep and concentrated. This could age for a long
time,but this is quite tasty now. Got better and better over several
hours. Earthy and meaty notes, not a big wine, but a lovely midweight
Pinot. A-

Nice evening, with family and their friends.