Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-11-23) 200th survey on the RFC site: Excess baggage?

Puester wrote:

> If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
> me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate. This has never
> happened to me but my husband, who flies often, has often had to "share"
> his seat with a biggie, sometimes one on either side.
>
> Flight attendants are usually sympathetic and will reseat him if (and
> that's an iffy "IF") there are any spare seats.
>
> I'd like to see all the large people seated together, forced to get
> three huge people into a normal sized row. After a few flights like
> that they might be more inclined to buy two seats or fly first class....

This topic has passed through some of the travel groups several times and
there are a lot of people there who just have a bad attitude about fat and
consider anyone over some arbitrary number to be obese.

I am a big guy. I don't have any trouble getting into the seats, but my
shoulders are going to be sticking out. The biggest problem is that the
seats are just too damned small and have no leg room. Some airlines have
roomier seats than others. The first time I went to Europe was with Air
Transat and it was like 8 hours in a sardine can. The next time we crossed
the Atlantic I paid a lot extra to fly KLM and found the seating just as
cramped. The last time, I went with Air Canada and the seats were fine.
When I flew Continental to Colorado, in two legs, seating was fine on both
planes.
Some airlines, with very cheap rates, upgrade to roomier seats for a small
surcharge.

The whiners also complain about the extra weight and the fuel it takes.
That doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider that some routes take
people way out of their way. When I was looking for a flight from her to
Colorado, a lot of the options involved back tracking to NYC or even
Atlanta. On a recent trip from Buffalo to SC, my brother had to make a
connection in Chicago. I doubt that a few extra pounds makes up for flying
hundreds of miles out of the way.