Rich McCormack

Default Mexican Stir-Fry

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

> "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> > I often find myself with leftover meat from a previous meal that's

> ---- Mexican Stir-fry and other stuff cut for brevity---
>
> I'm not nitpicking, nor complaining, nor being arrogant, nor negative....
> but it seems to me that anybody can claim "Mexican" food if they simply add
> a chile to whatever concoction they are making.

I'm a chile-head, I add chiles to most "concoctions" I make, even
potato salad...but no, I don't then call it Mexican potato salad.

My wife is particularly fond of stir-fry. I've made it for many
years, Asian-style -- thin sliced meat, mushrooms, celery, carrots,
snow peas, bean sprouts and such -- served over chow mein noodles
with sticky white rice and maybe some sort of tempura on the
side...and, of course, the usual soy sauce for seasoning.

Several years ago, I wanted to make stir-fry but had no "Asian"
veggies or chow mein noodles on hand. I did have a variety of
chiles and squash from my garden...and, some corn tortillas that
were starting to get a little stale. Idea: slice the tortillas
into really thin strips and fry them crisp, stir-fry some leftover
meat along with the chiles, squash and some onion, serve it over
the tortilla "noodles" along with some Mexican-style rice and beans
on the side...and, hot sauce and salsa in place of the soy sauce.
I decided to call it Mexican Stir Fry. It's just the name I chose
to call it, don't let it worry you so much.

Last week, I made my Mexican Stir-Fry with leftover turkey and ate
it "taco" style with soft fried corn tortillas, rice, beans, salsa
and hot sauce on the side. Let's see: turkey, chiles, onion, squash,
tomato, corn, rice and beans...6 out of 8 ingredients indigenous to
the western hemisphere. Where would that fit in the Puebla Protocol?

Rich

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/