Rich McCormack

Default Mexican Stir-Fry

I often find myself with leftover meat from a previous meal that's
not quite enough in quantity to stand by itself for another meal.
One answer is to extend it by stir-frying with an assortment of
chiles, onions and other veggies for a Mexican-style stir-fry.
I use a steel wok or cast iron wok, but a well seasoned cast iron
skillet should work as well...

Mexican Stir-Fry

1 each - poblano chile, ripe red Anaheim chile and
ripe red jalapeno chile
1/2 - white onion
1/2 dozen - mushrooms
1 - zucchini or yellow crook neck squash
1 tablespoon - vegetable oil for stir-fry
day old corn tortillas as needed
vegetable oil as needed to fry tortillas
pre-cooked poultry, pork or beef as desired

Stack tortillas then cut stack in half. Stack tortilla
halves and slice into 1/8 inch wide by 1 to 2 inch length
strips. Heat an inch or so of oil in a cast iron frying
pan and fry tortilla strips a handfull at a time until crisp,
drain on paper towel, sprinkle with salt or pico de gallo
spice mix and set aside. Cut chiles in half lengthwise
and remove the seeds. Slice the poblano and Anaheim chiles
crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Slice the jalapeno chile
into 1/8 inch slices. Cut the 1/2 onion into two pieces
and slice into 1/4 inch slices. Quarter the mushrooms.
Cut the squash in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise
into 1/2 inch slices. Slice the leftover meat into 1/4 inch
slices. Heat the oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add chiles
and onions to wok and stir-fry until tender. Add mushrooms
and squash and stir-fry until squash is cooked but still crisp.
Add sliced meat and stir-fry until meat is heated through.
Serve over crisp fried tortilla strips with grated cheese,
hot sauce and fresh salsa to add per individual taste.

I might serve my Mexican Stir-Fry with rice or Sopa Seca de Fideo
and pinto or black beans on the side with a sliced avocado, tomato
and lettuce salad with maybe a lime and chile flavored vinaigrette
dressing; or, perhaps, an orange and jicama pico de gallo...depends
on what I have at hand.

Ripe red Anaheim and jalapeno chiles might be hard to come by unless
you grow your own. :-) I'd use 1/2 red bell pepper and ripe red
Fresno chile or green jalapeno if necessary as substitute.

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/