Rich McCormack

Default Salsa Roja

"James A. Finley" wrote:

> "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> >
> > Salsa Roja
> >
> > 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
> > 2 - dried ancho chiles
> > 3 - dried New Mexico chiles
> > 1 - dried chipotle chile

Rest of recipe snipped so as not to be redundant...

> "Dried ancho" and "dried chipotle" are redundant. Anchos are dried poblanos
> and chipotles are dried (and smoked) jalapenos. Don't confuse those who are
> learning about Mexican cooking!

I guess one could say the term "dried ancho" is redundant, but
it is a term commonly found in Mexican cookbooks. Rick Bayless,
generally considered an authority on Mexican cooking, uses the
term "dried ancho chile" in his books. I don't think there's
any confusion to be found there. The use of pasilla for poblano,
as sometimes found on supermarket produce labels...now that can
certainly be confusing.

As for "dried chipotle" being redundant...as already has been
mentioned, there is a distinct difference between dried chipotles
and canned chipotles en adobo.

This brings up an interesting question. How many other fresh
chiles are called something else when dried? The above mentioned
pasilla is a dried chilaca. I know there's more...

Rich