Wayne Lundberg

Default Enchiladas Placeras

Except for the sprinkling of jalapeno at the end (which is done by each
'eater') this is a typical San Luis Potosi dish. Typical because of the
dipping into the salsa first, then lightly frying the tortilla. The lettuce
may be somebody's idea of competing against Taco Bell, but it's seen
sometimes on chalupas, and increasing in popularity as lettuce is getting
better and better in all of Mexico. Sour cream is a great substitute for the
Mexican crema which is not really sour, nor sweet, just kind of in between.
I use sour cream as a substitute all the time and like it better than the
'real' Mexican crema used on enchiladas swisas.

You keep making me hungry Linda, stop it!

Wayne

http://www.jalapenocafe.com/recipes/..._placeras.html

> 3 or 4 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
> 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
> 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
> 12 corn tortillas
> 1/2 pound queso fresco, crumbled and salted
> 1 small onion, finely chopped
> 1 3 pound chicken, poached and cut into serving pieces
> 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
> 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
> 2/3 cup sour cream
> 3 or 4 small red potatoes
> 3 medium carrots
> 2 cups chili sauce
> Large serving dish or platter, kept warm
>
> Cook the carrots and potatoes in boiling water until barely tender. Drain
> and rinse. Place vegetables in bowl and cover with cold water and the
> vinegar. These should be made ahead so they can stand in the vinegar at
> least at hour. When ready to prepare the dinner, pour off water and let
> drain before frying.
>
> Make Enchiladas.
>
> In heavy skillet, put in 1 tablespoon oil. Dip each corn torilla in the
> chili sauce so it is lightly covered, then fry the tortilla quickly on

each
> side. ( if sauce is too thick, thin with a little water). Continue until

all
> tortillas are dipped and fried.
>
> In each tortilla, put 1 scan tablespoon of the cheese and 1/2 tablespoon

of
> the chopped onion. Roll up and put in center of serving dish to keep warm.
>
> In same skillet, add little more oil and fry the chicken pieces until they
> are golden brown. Arrange them around the enchiladas. In the same fat, fry
> the carrots and potatoes, Drain the vegetables and scatter over the
> enchiladas. In the same oil, cook the remaining sauce a few minutes and

pour