Posted to alt.food.wine
Dana Myers Dana Myers is offline

Default 1998 Opus One

Bi!! wrote:

> I understand that 1998 wasn't up to the standards set by other
> vintages in Napa but I've had a number of wines (Caymus, Shafer
> Hillside Select, Phelps Insignia, etc) from the '98 vintage that were
> quite good and are still drinking well.

Sure; I didn't think my statement said there was *no* good
Napa wine in 1998, at least I hope no one gets that impression.
It's really the hallmark of a great producer to make a good
wine in a challenging year, and there were many examples of
that in the 1998 vintage.

If I recall correctly, Wine Spectator basically wrote 1998
off as a flop, which wasn't the case at all, but it's true
that 1998 wasn't a "normal" year for California wines.

Dana