The Ranger

Default Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

Dan Russo > wrote in message
news:_Glsb.15590$Cj1.9004@fed1read07...
> Does anyone have a recipe for a "Mexican shrimp cocktail".

Rick Bayless did a shrimp ceviche in one of his episodes. Used a Ziploc(tm)
to "cook" the shrimp all while adding wine, shrimp, salt... It was delicious
sounding enough that I immediately made it for dinner that night. I live
with a bunch of untrained peasants but it was good (for me!)

I can't find the recipe now but from memory it was as follows:

Shrimp Ceviche

INGREDIENTS:
2 lbs. shrimp, raw, deveined, chopped
2 serrano chiles, chopped
OR
4 jalapeno chiles, chopped
1 lg red onion, chopped
1 med tomato, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 1/2 bunches cilantro, washed well, chopped
2 cups dry white wine (I used a Kendall Jackson Proprietors' 1999
Chardonnay)
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed*
1 Tbs. Kosher salt

METHOD:
Using the Ziploc(tm), mix all ingredients together and let sit in cooler
for 60 minutes to "cook" shrimp. Serve cooled.
* Do not substitute lemon juice. He specified a particular type of lime but
I just can't remember it now.

The Ranger