Shelora

Default Help with Vegetarian Side?

Hello Douglas,
First the tortitas de papas. Here is a recipe that can easily be
adjusted depending on the starchiness of the potatoes and the
ingredients needed to hold it together.

Vegetable oil for frying
2 1/2 lbs, potatoes, peeled and quartered.
1/4 - 1/2 cup Maseca or flour or corn starch*
sea salt to taste
1 cup dry cheese (parmesean, romano, cotija or feta)

Peel and cook potatoes unti tender. Drain and when potatoes are cool
enough to handle, break up the spuds with a fork, making a rough
texture.Add salt, cheese and masa (or substitute), so the mixture
holds a firm shape when squeezed.
Heat oil and fry cakes until golden brown, turning gently to cook the
other side. Move to paper towels to drain any excess oil. Eat right
away or keep hot in a 300' oven. Or re-heat. Serve with your favourite
salsa.

* you can also add eggs to bind instead of a starch. Use your
judgement as to how many,perhaps add one at a time.
____________
The stuffed squash,
do you need help here? sounds like you are on the right track of
winging it.
Just let me know,
Shelora
By the way, the main source of heat is contained in the seeds and the
veins of the chile. Heat intensity can also change due to many
factors, crops from year to year, sun, etc.
When you make a chile relleno, it is usually customary to remove the
seed s and veins after roasting. However, it is not always a guarantee
that the chile will be mild.
my two cents.