Douglas S. Ladden

Default Help with Vegetarian Side?

Shelora on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

> Hi,
> I live the vegetarian capitol of the world, so I can suggest a few
> side dishes for you.

Cool! I barely even eat vegetables. If I had to become
vegetarian, I would wither and die.

> First of all, salsas work perfectly, as do the wonderful Mexican
> dish, tortitas de papa, otherwise known as potato cakes. They can be
> served with a salsa, made appetizer size and served with a salsa on
> the side or made larger and served with a tomato caldo, like a
> traditional chile relleno.

This sounds like a possible option, as it puts the spiciness,
which I also do not eat, on the side. If you can point me to a recipe
for this, it would be appreciated.

> Speaking of chile rellenos, this is a dish I was served once in D.F.,
> and is something I love to make in a pinch. Take some anaheim pepper,
> char, peel and stuff with cooked and seasoned rice and cheese
> (whatever you have on hand is fine). This is assuming these
> vegetarians eat cheese.

I have only had chiles rellenos once, filled with picadillo. I
was very surprised when I ate them that they were not spicy. Since they
were chiles, I had always assumed they would be, and had always avoided
them. But at this baptismal party I attended, I could not avoid eating
them without insulting the hosts who were the parents of the child, and
was delightfully surprised. Though I still don't understand why the
chiles were NOT spicy.

> Since its the Fall season, there are still a lot of squash about, if
> you can find mini ones, stuff them with a vegetarian style picadillo
> - saute onions, garlic, add rice, cheese, perhaps some chopped up
> toasted almonds or variations like spinach and goat cheese, with
> raisins that have been plumped up with a bit of tequila and orange
> juice.

This sounds really good! It may be one of the easiest to (a)
prepare, and (b) wing it, if necessary.

> Just a few ideas, let me know if you need more details.

Thank you!

--Douglas