David Wright

Default Help with Vegetarian Side?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:43:05 GMT, "Douglas S. Ladden"
> wrote:

>Hello Folks!
>
> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
>dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, ...

I've been looking through "Meatless Mexican Home Cooking" (Nancy
Zaslavsky) for something I would make for this dinner.

Jack jumped right in with the rice and potato dishes, so I'll suggest
Zaslavsky's Baked Layered Tortilla-Chile Casserole, Pastel del Pobres
(cake of the poor).

It's a lasagne-type stack of corn tortillas, quickly fried as for
enchiladas, and arranged with layers of tomato sauce, crema, dry
cheese, and rajas (strips of roasted chiles), then bake in a 375F oven
for about 15 minutes.

Looks good to me, especially for a potluck. It could be good warm from
the oven or at room temp.

David