Shelora

Default Help with Vegetarian Side?

Hi,
I live the vegetarian capitol of the world, so I can suggest a few
side dishes for you.
First of all, salsas work perfectly, as do the wonderful Mexican dish,
tortitas de papa, otherwise known as potato cakes. They can be served
with a salsa, made appetizer size and served with a salsa on the side
or made larger and served with a tomato caldo, like a traditional
chile relleno.
Speaking of chile rellenos, this is a dish I was served once in D.F.,
and is something I love to make in a pinch. Take some anaheim pepper,
char, peel and stuff with cooked and seasoned rice and cheese
(whatever you have on hand is fine). This is assuming these
vegetarians eat cheese.
You line all the stuffed chilies in a casserole dish, add a bit of
stock or even water to the bottom so they don't stick, cover with foil
and heat through.
Delicious.
Since its the Fall season, there are still a lot of squash about, if
you can find mini ones, stuff them with a vegetarian style picadillo -
saute onions, garlic, add rice, cheese, perhaps some chopped up
toasted almonds or variations like spinach and goat cheese, with
raisins that have been plumped up with a bit of tequila and orange
juice.
Actually, I think I'll make that for dinner - not that I'm a
vegetarian. Heaven forbid.
Just a few ideas, let me know if you need more details.
Buen provecho!