Rich McCormack

Default canning chicken broth

Kramer wrote:

> I'd like to make this stuff as I do canning of fruits as a hobby. Can you
> explain "leftover chicken carcass"? Does that mean that the chicken has been
> previously cooked?

Most chicken broth (usually called stock) canning recipes call for
uncooked chicken parts...and, in the case of the Ball Blue Book,
a whole, uncooked chicken that is removed from the broth and saved
for other uses. I like roast chicken much better than boiled, so
I roast the chickens, eat 'em and use the leftover carcass and bones
for making broth.

Keep in mind that fruit can generally be canned in a boiling-water
canner. Meat and meat broth must be canned using a pressure canner
with reliable pressure gauge and/or weighted "jiggler".

Rich