Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1998 Opus One

Dana Myers wrote:

> 1998 was a mediocre vintage in California. In general, Napa
> Valley reds were all a bit light, some more than others. I did
> taste the '98 Opus One shortly after release and found it quite
> light on the palate and vaguely recall even a bit of something like
> green olive which *might* have matured into sous bois.

Dana,
Although '98 was no '97 or '99, many of the better producers made
very credible wines in that year. In many ways, I preferred the wines
of '98 to other, more ballyhooed years -- and that's reflected in my
cellar, where I have more '98 Napa Cabs than '97 or '99. De gustibus,
and all that... And, yes, Opus *is* overhyped :-)

Mark Lipton