Douglas S. Ladden

Default Baked Red Snapper with Garlic

Jim Lane on 05 Nov 2003 suggested:

> Douglas S. Ladden wrote:
>> Jim Lane on 04 Nov 2003 suggested:
>>

>>>If it says it is copyrighted, then it is by common copyright. You
>>>are jerk A-1 (noticing you're hiding out now with a different
>>>identity).
>>>

>> To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "common
>> copyright", nor
>> a "common law copyright", if that's what you meant. At least not in
>> the United States, I am not familiar with the laws of other
>> jurisdictions. All Copyright Law in the United States is enabled by
>> the U.S. Constitution, and established by Federal Law, pre-empting
>> any State laws which may speak to the issue.
>>
>> --Douglas

> Here's your own reply from below talking about what I was referring
> to:
>
> Since 1978, all original works affixed in a tangible medium are
> automatically protected by Copyright. Since most websites didn't
> exist prior to 1978, they would be protected. The recipes themselves
> would might also be Copyright depending on the factual basis
> surrounding them.

Okay, Jim! I had never heard the term "common copyright", much
less applied to the above. I think "automatic copyright" is a better
and more commonly used term. The above law was established by the
Copyright Act of 1976. Usually "common law" is that law established by
(long standing) common usage or case decisions. All Copyright law is
based in Federal Statute.

--Douglas