A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Flavored Tortillas

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:47:55 GMT, "A1 WBarfieldsr"
> > wrote:
>
> >Has anyone ever tried to flavor flour tortillas? I mean use Cayeene,
> >chocolate chips, oregano or what ever in the mix.

> Yes. HEB's Central Markets have flour tortillas with flavors. If you
> don't have a Central Market in Waco you can drive down to Austin or
> San Antonio to buy some of these silly things.
>
> What's your point?

The point is, someone might like hot totillas (bread) or some other taste
to go with different dishes. I mean put a little Mexican oregano and grated
Queso Cotija or Parmesan cheese in just to give the totilla a different
taste. Maybe chocolate or red pepper flakes kind of like Biscochitos but as
a tortilla. An example is, I like tortillas with spaghetti. Well if one put
a little garlic powder and a pinch of grated cheese in the mix it may go
better with the sauce. I'm talking about experimenting with food.
I found this after posting.
CHOCOLATE ENCHILADAS

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbls. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbls. granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
2 large eggs
1/2 recipe Kahlúa Chocolate Pudding (see below)

Put all ingredients except pudding in a food processor fitted with the
metal blade or in a blender and process for 1 minute.
Scrape down the sides of the container and process for 10 seconds.
Transfer the batter to a towel and let rest in the refrigerate for 30
minutes.

Heat a nonstick crepe pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan, tilting it so the batter coats the
bottom in a thin film.
Pour any excess batter back into the bowl, and cook the pancake for about 2
minutes, until the top looks set but not dry and you can lift up the
pancake with a rubber spatula and your fingers.

Place the crepe cooked side up on a sheet of wax paper, and repeat with the
remaining batter, for a total of 6 crepes. Stack the crepes between sheets
of wax paper.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter a cookie sheet.

Place a crepe, cooked side up, on a work surface.
Place 1/4 cup of the pudding about one-third of the way up from the bottom.
Spread it into a rectangle across the crepe, leaving 1-inch borders.
Fold the bottom of the crepe up over the pudding, then fold over the sides.
Roll the enchilada up and place seam side down on the prepared cookie
sheet.
Repeat with remaining crepes and pudding.
Cover and refrigerate (up to 1 day in advance).

Bake enchiladas for 5 to 7 minutes, just until warmed through.
Serve immediately.

KAHLÚA CHOCOLATE PUDDING

4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup Kahlúa

Melt chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over barely
simmering water or in a small bowl set over a saucepan of just-simmering
water. Remove from heat.

In a medium-size bowl, whisk cornstarch, cocoa and 1/4 cup of the sugar
into 1/2 cup of the milk.

In a medium-size heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine remaining 3 cups milk and
1/2 cup sugar and bring just to a scald over medium heat.
Whisk the hot liquid into the cornstarch mixture, then return the mixture
to the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly and scraping the bottom of
the pan, until tiny bubbles boil up for 10 seconds.
Remove from the heat.

Put the eggs and egg yolks into the medium bowl.
Whisking gently, but constantly, slowly drizzle 1 cup of the hot liquid
into them. Return everything to the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly
and scraping the bottom of the pan, until tiny bubbles boil up for 3
seconds.
Remove from the heat and stir in the Kahlúa.

Strain pudding through a fine sieve into a bowl.
Thoroughly stir in the melted chocolate mixture.

Divide pudding among 8 serving bowls.
Place a piece of wax paper directly on the surface of each one to prevent a
skin from forming.
Let cool for 2 to 3 hours, then refrigerate until chilled.

--
William Barfieldsr