Becca

Default Wasn't happy with Mexican rice recipe

This is my favorite Spanish Rice recipe.

Becca

Spanish Rice

1 cup long grain white rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic
1 tomato cut in wedges
½ teaspoon whole cumin
¼ cup diced onion
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
2-1/4 cups chicken broth

Directions:

Heat oil in a 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add rice and stir
every 3-4 minutes until the rice turns a golden brown. Blend garlic
and tomato and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a food processor and blend
until the tomato is nearly liquefied (I use a Braun submersible
blender). Just chop the tomato and garlic if you do not want to use
the blender.

Grind cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle (or use ground cumin). Add
tomato and garlic, onion, black pepper, cumin, salt, tomato sauce and
remaining chicken broth to the rice. Bring to a boil on high, cover
and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat
and leave covered for another 5 minutes. Uncover rice and fluff with a
fork before serving.