Frogleg

Default Wasn't happy with Mexican rice recipe

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:29:25 GMT, The Wolf >
wrote:

>OK, searched web for recipes on Mexican Rice and tried one.
>
>They all specify on can of tomatoes but don't say if it's 15 or 28 oz can.

Ain't that a pain? A lesson to the rest of us to specify measurements
other than "can" or "package." Used to be a "soup can" was a
'standard' Campbell's can (10.x oz), and a "can of soup" was the
condensed sort meant to be diluted with an equal amount of water (or
milk) for serving. Now we have big cans, little cans, "ready-to-serve"
cans, etc., etc. Not to mention manufacturers of everything from
cereal to Jell-O changing the size of a package or can.

>What is the consensus for proportion of one cup rice to tomatoes?
>Also liquid anywhere from two cups to three and one half cup.

Basic cooked rice uses a roughly 2:1 ratio of water to rice, depending
on method. Or as one cookbook has it, "1 cup rice equals 3 cups
r*i*c*e"

>I tried two cups plus the liquid from a can of 15 oz tomatoes. Was a little
>moister than I like, so should it be 2 cups including the liquid from the
>tomatoes?

I recently made a pilaf with 1 cup rice and a 14oz can of chicken
broth, and threw in another quarter cup of water to make up the
difference. However, the sauted veg (onion, pepper, celery) evidently
gave off a fair amount of moisture, and the dish was somewhat
overcooked by the time all the liquid was absorbed. Tomatoes have a
lot of water in them, in addition to the 'juice' in the can, As
you've found from experimentation, I'd *guess* a 15oz can of tomatoes
& liquid, plus maybe another half-cup of water. As Douglas's recipe
indicates, you can always *add* more water.