David Wright

Default Fresh Roasted Chiles

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:20:54 GMT, "Misschef" >
wrote:

>Pueblos are a medium-hot variety and I believe they are grown in Colorado
>(Maybe near Pueblo, Colo, lol?). They may be called a different name
>elsewhere, but I have always called them Pueblo's.

Yessss! See below.

>They look almost exactly
>like Anahiems, about 6-8 inches long, but the heat factor is substantially
>more.

IIRC, Anaheims are based on seeds that came from New Mexico and were
planted in Orange County, Calif., by either Mr. Anaheim, a local
rancher, or by Mr. Ortega, the county sheriff (depending on which
story you find.) I think they're milder because the growing conditions
aren't as stressful as those in NM-CO.

>Thanks, David! That will cut down that first
>day's workload a lot.

Hey, you're welcome. I just put my freshly-roasted chiles into a
freezer bag to let them steam a little while, then pop 'em into the
freezer.

>One more thing......Anyone know where I can order chilies online? I've done
>a Google search (albeit, not an extensive one)and can't find any.

I googled on "pueblo chile colorado" and got this as the first hit:
<http://www.mirasolchile.com/> Cool site, and it looks as if they
still have some green chiles.

When we drove through Hatch, NM, last Wednesday on the way home, we
saw one stand open. It' almost over, and I'm a little surprised there
still are some as far north of Pueblo.

I didn't cook as enthusiastically as you did after getting home, but I
did make a fine pot of posole with some of the frozen nixtamal we
bought, as well as fresh chiles. Real comfort food!

David