Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Good News: Sodium Nitrite/Nitrates declared heart healthy!!! :(

Abe said...

>>My local NBC morning news reported "from a reliable source"
>>http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=609977 that sodium nitrate and
>>sodium nitrite are heart healthy.
>>
>>Well I don't buy it. Quite possibly the most falsified study ever
>>conducted in the history of food science.
>>
>>They're proven carcinogens since the early 1970s. Certainly not GRAS.
>>
>>Andy

> Actually, while nitrites/nitrates, aren't really 'heart healthy', they
> do have a relaxing effect on blood vessels, helping to improve blood
> flow. That's why people with angina take nitroglycerin. The effect is
> very temporary though.

Abe,

It's up to each and all of us to decide. I'm not a crusader. I tried.

I just spent my Senior High School project on food additiives.

Didn't have computers in those days. I could've printed my objections in
200 pt. type.

I got an A+ but dang, how times and enzymes have changed.

Andy