Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Good News: Sodium Nitrite/Nitrates declared heart healthy!!! :(

Pete C. said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Phred said...

>> > What do carcinogens have to do with a healthy heart?
>> >
>> > Well, if you die of cancer before you have a heart attack then
>> > clearly these chemicals prevent heart attacks... ;-)
>> >
>> > Cheers, Phred.

>> Phred,
>>
>> I see the humor, only this "miracle-bullshit" research is being pushed
>> on humans in the news as if they're safe NOW for us to consume. They're
>> still in the mouse research phases for God's sake. And THEY STILL CAUSE
>> CANCER!!!
>>
>> Wait until the Mountain Dew crew after decades of drinking brominated
>> vegetable oil start dropping dead.
>>
>> Friggin' medical science Kreatives strike again.
>>
>> Reminding you again that you have a friend at the CDC. NOT!!!
>>
>> </RANT>
>>
>> Andy

> Considering the extremely long history of sausages and other nitrate /
> nitrite cured meats, it would seem likely that while in absurdly high
> doses given to small rodents nitrates/nitrites may promote cancer, in
> the human real world the effect is likely unmeasurably low.

Pete,

Maybe you're more familiar than I but I thought that since mice regenerate
so fast, giving them 1,000x a daily dose would produce data on paper
faster.

I remember a friend who injected rats with 1000x a human dose of caffeine
to test a company's coffee.

When the cages opened for the flexible throat syringe, the rats would make
a running leap for freedom.

Why don't you try 1000x times the sodium nitrite and nitrates as a subject
for a year or so?

You forget it's in the mouse research phase.

Do you disagree that they both don't cause cancer???

Andy