Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Apple Pie in Cast Iron Skillet?

Oh pshaw, on Tue 13 Nov 2007 10:11:26a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> In article .com>,
> Jen > wrote:
>
>> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
>> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
>> apple pie' that this might be the answer!
>>
>> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
>> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
>> tried this method before and if so, any tips?
>>
>> Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
>> still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
>> shortening?
>>
>> I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
>> try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
>> deep as I'd like.
>>
>> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
>> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
>> stories, if there are any out there.
>>
>> Thanks all!
>>
>> Jen

> No real experience, just opinions.
> I'd be more concerned about how the cast iron will conduct heat than
> whether the crust will stick. I don't think the crust will stick --
> there's plenty of fat in the crust, no? I surely wouldn't grease the
> skillet. Check a recipe for cornbread baked in a cast iron corn mold
> and one baked in an aluminum/other material pan to get an idea of how
> long to bake it.
>
> Might you reduce the amount of the filling so it isn't SO "very deep
> dish?"

Normally, when you bake cornbread in a cast iron skillet, you preheat the
skillet almost to the smoking point before pouring in the batter. A 9-inch
or so skillet will bake a pan of cornbread in 35-40 minutes tops.

Unfortunately, you can't do that with pie crust. The time it may take for
the cast iron to conduct the heat sufficient to bake the pie may yield a
soggy crust.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

Any time, any place, our snipers can drop you.
Have a nice day.