Posted to rec.food.baking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Apple Pie in Cast Iron Skillet?

In article .com>,
Jen > wrote:

> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
> apple pie' that this might be the answer!
>
> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
> tried this method before and if so, any tips?
>
> Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
> still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
> shortening?
>
> I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
> try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
> deep as I'd like.
>
> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
> stories, if there are any out there.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Jen

No real experience, just opinions.
I'd be more concerned about how the cast iron will conduct heat than
whether the crust will stick. I don't think the crust will stick --
there's plenty of fat in the crust, no? I surely wouldn't grease the
skillet. Check a recipe for cornbread baked in a cast iron corn mold
and one baked in an aluminum/other material pan to get an idea of how
long to bake it.

Might you reduce the amount of the filling so it isn't SO "very deep
dish?"
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to