Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Default The end of the WSM experiment

Steve Calvin wrote:
> wrote:
>> And as for service, check this out: When I got the WSM from Amazon,
>> the bottom section had come loose, and what ever part they had in that
>> box had scratched the bowl in several places on the inside. A couple
>> of the ears on the bottom vents were bent, but nothting major. After
>> assembly I also noticed that the access door had a bow in it,
>> something noticed on the WSM group as a common problem.
>>
>> I called Weber and asked them if the scratches would do anything to
>> the firebowl, because if I wanted to use it as a simple cooker with no
>> water bowl the meat juices would fall directly into the bowl, some
>> getting burned up if they hit the fire, but others on the edges
>> hitting the bowl to be cemented on by the fire.
>>
>> The service rep asked me, "why take a chance?" With no further
>> explanation they asked me for an address and sent me an entire
>> firebowl. When they asked me if there was anything else I was
>> concerned about or if there were any other questions, I told them
>> about the access door. The put a new one in with the firebowl.
>>
>> Hard to beat that kind of service. It could really make a guy loyal,
>> especially since they are backing a really good product.
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Yup, I think Weber's service it hard, if not nearly impossible to beat.
>
> I have a Weber Silver B gasser as well as the WSM. Well, my better
> half's work group wanted to borrow the Silver B for a department lunch.
> Fine, no problem, you just come and pick it up. Long story short, they
> loaded onto the pickup with the back down. Naturally the lid wasn't real
> impressed with that and it opened HARD, snapping the cast iron where the
> lid connects to the main body. They felt horrible and said they'd fix
> it. The called Weber and told them exactly what had happened. Weber sent
> a new lid AND someone to install it. Charge? NONE. Unbelievable. Tell
> me one other company who would do that when it was obvious user
> negligence which caused the damage.

I've been a Weber fan for years. When I lived up north I would go
through the $99 Sunbeam-type gassers on a yearly basis with year-round
cooking even in the snow. I'm on my second Weber gas grill and my first
WSM. I only upgraded my gasser for size and to get the stainless
burners and cooking surface.

Service reports like this are great. I may never need a part but I know
they are there to help and these are the rare type of companies that
earn their (small) premium price.

Dan