Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Some older Chardonnays

On Nov 9, 11:12 am, "Jim Mehl" > wrote:

> I haven't tried any Grgich-Hill Chards with any age on them. I have
> found that Hanzell and Chalone also age well, or at least Chalone did
> back when Mike Michaud was the winemaker. Stony Hill is still my
> favorite for ageing. I've still got Stony's going back to 1982. I might
> have to open one over Thanksgiving.

I still have a bottle each of Chalone Estate 1990, 1991, and 1992. I
should taste these before too long to see how well they have held up
on comparison to Au Bon Climats from the same years. I bet some of
your oldest Stony Hills will still be good. It will be interesting if
you have and taste the 1991 and 1992 Stony Hills that I had and found
to be not so good and that did not age very well. It would be
interesting to find out if your bottles are like mine, or if perhaps
my bottles had been damaged by storage conditions before I bought
them. Of course both Chalone and Stony Hills have changed owners, wine
makers etc over the years, so past quality may not predict present
quality.