Posted to alt.food.wine
Jim Mehl Jim Mehl is offline

Default Some older Chardonnays

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message

> Interesting notes, Jim. I'd have to agree about the ageability of
> Montelena's Chardonnay, though Jean makes it difficult to put that
> information into practice ;-) And I'm not that surprised about the
> Kistlers, either: for all the talk of their "Burgundian" character, the
> few Kistler Chards that I've had have just been big big big with tons of
> oak and malo character. From your experience, it's tempting to conclude
> that the way to make an ageworthy CA Chardonnay is to block malolactic
> fermentation. Any idea whether Grgich-Hill's can age like that?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. Great website for Chateau Garage! I had no idea that it existed.

Mark,
I haven't tried any Grgich-Hill Chards with any age on them. I have
found that Hanzell and Chalone also age well, or at least Chalone did
back when Mike Michaud was the winemaker. Stony Hill is still my
favorite for ageing. I've still got Stony's going back to 1982. I might
have to open one over Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the compliment on the Chateau Garage web site. We have
fun with it. All of our 2007's have fermented. The Chardonnay
(Carneros) is looking good. The Cabernet (Rutherford) got hit by
the early October rains and may be a problem.

Jim Mehl