Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Diabetics of r.f.c.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:04:40 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote in message
.net...

>> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>>> So...just how many of us are there?
>>>

>> One here, though I am completely diet controlled.
>>
>> I wonder if you can ever be considered "cured" of diabetes. If you go for
>> several years with no medication, all diet control, no diabetic side
>> effects? Just pondering
>>
>> Cindi
>>

>You can't. If you ever had a fasting blood sugar[FBS] over 110, you're
>diabetic. If you have a FBS
>in the 100-110 range you have metabolic syndrome, along with 40% of us over
>the age of 60.

Please provide a citation that backs up those diagnostic criteria.
Until then, refer here, which still states that FBG of >125 is
required for diagnosis.

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/Outp...l/Diabetes.htm

And here, a layperson's article, which concurs with the above and also
talks about GTT levels.

http://metabolicsyndrome.about.com/o.../Diagnosis.htm

* Blood Glucose - A fasting glucose (FBG) test is taken to
determine if you have an impaired or malfunctioning response to
glucose. If you have a FBG of 110 mg/dL (6.1 mmol/L) or more you have
a risk factor.

* Oral Glucose Tolerance Test - This is a test to see how your
body handles glucose or sugar over time. You are required to fast from
eating, drinking and smoking 8 hours prior to the test. The lab will
take a fasting blood glucose sample when you arrive. This helps as a
basis of comparison to your blood glucose levels during the test. You
are given 75 g (3 oz.) of glucose to drink quickly. If you are
pregnant, you will be given 50 (2 oz.). Your blood sugar is then
tested again after 2 hours. If you are pregnant your blood sugar will
be tested after 1 hour and then again after 2 hours. If your results
are normal, your blood sugar results will be below 140 mg/dL (7.6
mmol/L) 2 hours after the drinking the glucose. In the Metabolic
Syndrome, or what is considered pre-diabetes, the 2-hour blood glucose
level is 140 to 199 mg/dL. (7.6 to 11.1 mmol/L). People with blood
glucose levels above 199 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) are considered to have
diabetes.

And here, the ADA's definitions.

http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes...s-symptoms.jsp

Boron