Randy

Default Whole grains for low GI?

Theo wrote:
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?

I've found that rice alone spikes my BG, but when combining it with low
carb foods (e.g. thai or chinese food) the spike is greatly lowered.
The same holds for tortilla chips. When combined with salsa, I get a
much flatter/lower rise, but possibly over a longer time span.

I'm guessing that the area under the curve (the graph of my BG over
time) is probably the same after eating N number of carbs, but when the
the curve is made longer (by lowering the average glycemic index of what
I've eaten), the height of the curve is lowered. And the height of the
curve is what diabetics care about most. Otherwise, glycemic index (the
rate of carb absorption) would be irrelevant, and we would care only
about total carbs.

I suspect that the impact on BG of perhaps all high glycemic index foods
can be moderated in this way.

Randy