Julie Bove

Default Whole grains for low GI?

"Theo" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message
news
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to
live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand

the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?

Keep in mind that once you start adding other foods, the entire GI changes.
I can't eat any rice except in really small amounts, mixed in other foods.
I love barley and have found that I can eat some in soup. But when I tried
a delicious barley casserole with pine nuts and mushrooms in it, my BG was
too high at two hours after eating. I did have the carb count for the total
dish and made sure not to eat any more carbs than I normally do. So this
didn't work for me.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/