Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathleen[_4_] Kathleen[_4_] is offline

Default Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

aem wrote:

> On Nov 2, 5:32 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>
>>Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
>>package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
>>What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
>>

> The first thing to do if you want more flavor in chicken breasts is to
> stop buying them skinned and off the bone. Cook the whole breast. If
> you want not to eat the skin, fine, set it aside, the breast will
> still be noticeably more flavorful.
>
> The second thing to do is not to overcook them. If you don't see an
> obvious glint of moisture when you slice into them, you've cooked all
> the juicy flavor out of them.
>
> Other than that, try out some marinades and sauces, there are hundreds
> to choose from. -aem

I think the best of both worlds are boneless chicken breasts with the
skin left on. I make up a seasoned butter with garlic, pepper, tyme or
whatever happens to sound good at the moment. Slide a teaspoon or so of
the butter under the skin of the breasts. Then sprinkle on salt, pepper
and a little paprika.

I cook these on the grill with indirect heat and some mesquite chunks
for smoke. I always make roughly twice what my family will consume in a
single meal. I pull the skins off of the leftovers and fry them slowly
over low heat to make a crunchy snack. Not exactly health food but
probably harmless as an occasional treat. My 13 year-old son and his
friends love these and were wondering where all the leftover chicken
skins go and wouldn't it be great to be able to buy a whole bag of skin
so you could eat cracklings until you explode. I told them I think they
use them along with god knows what else to make Chicken McNuggets.

The meat is shredded for use in tacos, enchiladas, salads, etc. and is
much tastier and juicier than plain baked or poached skinless boneless
breasts.