Julie Bove

Default Splenda in Sponge cake

"Harvey Mandel" > wrote in message
> I tried to make a sponge cake using spenda instead of regular sugar. When

> went to add the splenda it created lumps in the mix which I could not stir
> out. I baked it anyway to see what would happen. It did not rise in the

pan
> at all. What can I do short of going back to useing regular sugar?

Splenda, and in fact all of the artificial sweeteners I know of work best in
moist foods. Might be good for cheesecake, but not regular cakes. Sugar
will caramelize/crystallize, and Splenda will not. Does sponge cake contain
flour? Not really sure what a sponge cake is. If so, it's probably not the
best thing for a diabetic to be eating anyway.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/