Vicki Beausoleil

Default Splenda in Sponge cake

Harvey Mandel wrote:

> I tried to make a sponge cake using spenda instead of regular sugar. When I
> went to add the splenda it created lumps in the mix which I could not stir
> out. I baked it anyway to see what would happen. It did not rise in the pan
> at all. What can I do short of going back to useing regular sugar?
> Harvey

Splenda does not impart structure to baked goods like sugar does.
Replacing sugar with Splenda won't work. You'll have to find a recipe
that is specifically formulated for Splenda, or else replace part of the
sugar with Splenda. Splenda will replace sugar easily in desserts where
the sugar doesn't provide structure, like cheesecake.

Here's a recipe for a lemon roll cake that uses Splenda. I've never
tried it - I'm not a lemon fan. I also can't get complete nutritional
information because there seems to be something wrong with my MasterCook
program. I'll give you what I've got, anyway.

You could always modify the flavourings to get the taste you like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Triple Lemon Cake Roll

Recipe By : "More Splendid Desserts" by Jennifer Eloff
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Sugar-Free

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup Splenda sweetener
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
--Lemon Cheese Filling--
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
4 ounces light cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup Splenda sweetener
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3 drops yellow food coloring
--Lemon Syrup--
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup Splenda sweetener
1 drop yellow food coloring

Spray 15 x 10 inch jelly-roll pan with nonstic cooking spray. Line pan
with waxed paper; spray paper with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In large bowl, beat egg
yolks well; beat in Splenda, applesauce, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon
rind. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined. In
another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff
peaks form; stir half into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites. Spread
batter evenly in jelly-roll pan. Bake in 375 degree oven for 12 to 15
minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Loosen edges of
cake from pan; invert onto clean towl. Remove paper; trim any brown
crusty edges. Roll up towel and cake together; place seam side down on
wire rack. Set aside to cool completely.
Lemon Cheese Filling: In food processor with sharp blade, process
cottage cheese until smooth. Add cream cheese, Splenda, lemon juice,
lemon rind and food colouring; process until smooth.
Lemon Syrup: In small saucepan, stir lemon juice with cornstarch until
smooth. Stir in Splenda and bring to boiling, stirring. Remove from
heat; stir in yellow food colouring.
Assembly: Unroll cake and spread with Lemon Cheese Filling, leaving 1/4
inch border. Roll up gently without towel. Using a soft pastry brush,
brush lemon syrup over jelly roll. Refrigerate.

Nutritional analysis doesn't include the Splenda or the lowfat cottage
cheese. For some reason, my ingredients list is corrupted. If anyone out
there has MasterCook, feel free to run it through and correct my
analysis.

Per serving: 101 calories, 3.2 g fat, 1.6 g sat. fat, 13.2 g CHO (that's
carbs), 0.6 g fiber, 4.7 g protein

HTH

Vicki