Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] art@artexport.com is offline

Default Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

On Nov 2, 9:32 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
>
> --
> I got used to my arthritis
> To my denture I'm resigned
> I can manage my bifocals
> But Lord I miss my mind

There are three methods that I can think of to flavor baked chicken
1. Marinate the chicken before it is cooked
olive oil, lemon zest, black pepper, herb of choice
or maybe you want to do something a little Asian
soy, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger
just about anything can be put into a marinade just be careful when
marinating with acids as they will cook the meat and if left too long
will break down the connective tissue and turn your meat into mush

2. Place a sauce or crust on the chicken while it is being cooked
Things that work well for this process are tomato base sauces,
breading, and cheese. There are countless things that you could do
just keep in mind that whatever you put on the meat may burn so give
some thought to what it will taste like if it gets slightly burnt /
caramelized. In Asia there are a few recipes where chickens are
wrapped in leaves and then mud before baking, resulting in a leaf
flavored meat that is tender and juicy.

3. Place a sauce or relish on the chicken once is it cooked.
This is likely the most common way to flavor items. You can do
anything from teriyaki, curry (you don't have to put chili into
curry), Moroccan spice in a carrot pure, tomato sauce and cheese,
butter sauce with sage, truffle cream sauce, sweet corn relish,
chocolate mole and the list goes on and on.

Some of the craziest foods that I have tired have been the best so
feel free to try new things. One thing that I do when I am creating
new recipes is that I try my marinades, sauces or other condiments
before I put them on the meat, starch, veg, or fruit. In cases where I
put more than one sauce or use a combination of flavoring techniques I
will taste them together just to make sure that they work.

Good Luck and Good Eats
--
www.p30.com