Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Mold on cider

wrote:

I'm not worried about the derision. What worries
me is advice given without any examples to back
it up. Statements like " I wouldn't do that"
without a reason why just doesn't cut it.
Reasons like "That doesn't sound too appetizing"
is not very scientific.

Bob

Bob,

The reason I especially like this newsgroup is
because there is no (or very little) flaming. If
you want to see what some other newsgroups have
become, just visit some of the political or
computer newsgroups.

If you want some (non scientific) backing from me
it would be (IMHO), that mold WILL produce SOME
byproducts that may not be desireable in the
final product. Examples would be Brett and VA
infections not to mention some possible more
serious ones depending on part of the percnet
alcohol, pH etc.

There are a LOT of different kinds of mold and I
am not an expert and I doubt that is your case.
I will leave this topic to the experts.

From what I have read, green mold is
characteristic of Penicillian. Maybe that is
what is being grown by the OP, maybe not.
Maybe it would produce no harm, maybe not.

I am not a biologist and I do not know what
percentage of alcohol would protect a must from
byproducts that would affect the product (wine or
cider) in an adverse manner taste or possible
heath issues. The advice I gave errors on the
side of caution.

It may very well be the case that the advice you
gave is acceptable (in this particular case) but
can you be sure that it will cause no harm in all
cases? I think this is the question that should
be asked.

The OP is NOT talking about a LARGE quantity of
cider (wine), at least not by my definition. If
in doubt AND if the OP were making a LARGE
quantity of wine or cider, then I think the very
best advice I could give would be to send a
sample to a lab. Most labs are reasonable -
especially if we are talking about large volumes
of product. If we are NOT talking about large
volumes then I think my advice still stands.

I am quite sure you will disagree based on YOUR
experience but like the old saying goes "Your
mileage may vary.

I hope we can all benefit from a dialog and get
along. That is my primary concern.

Paul

On Oct 31, 10:16 am, jim
wrote:
Sadly there seems to be a degree of derision on
this thread as well as
the useful opinions and information. The
information is useful, the derision is not.

I am not sure myself as to whether all
byproducts of bacterial spoilage are
neutralised when the alcohol levels rise high
enough to
kill the infection. I couldn't find much
online about it and I don't know whether many
of these byproducts are poisonous either.
Information and opinion given by long-term
winemakers on this thread is interesting though
and does help to form a strategy as well as
opinion.

I'd be interesting to hear more on this
subject. Perhaps the lack of testimony from
people quoting a negative experience shows that
there
is rarely a problem with procedures suggested.
Perhaps it just shows that they haven't read
this thread yet.

Jim (a newb)

On Oct 31, 2:28 pm, wrote:

You can never have enough info. If she makes
a decision based on the limited info
presented here, I will guarantee it will be
an ill- informed decision.

Bob

On Oct 30, 11:56 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"

If you want to drink bad smelling
"wine", be my
guest. If you want to risk
contaminating other
things in your winery, go ahead. I am
not the wine police I am merely making
suggestions.

I'm making suggestions myself based on my
observations and experiences combined
with info given to me by a good
winemaker. I'm not suggesting drinking
bad stuff, I'm suggesting a method to fix
it.

"Sick, yes, deadly - life threatening ill
no. Of
course, to the best of my knowledge, I
have never drunk a low alcohol beverage
that had green mold
growing on it. To each his own. Happy
wine - errr - beverage making "

I haven't even heard of anyone getting
sick. Like I said, I'm suggesting ways to
fix it not ways to drink it.

I think Cathy has enough information to
make her decision.

"On Oct 26, 11:54 am, "Paul E. Lehmann"
The two Paul's in this thread would
make good Republican Presidential
candidates.

I would have to change my party
affiliation before I did that

Instilling IRRATIONAL FEAR into
anyone who ever came across mold or a
bad smelling wine.

If you want to drink bad smelling
"wine", be my
guest. If you want to risk
contaminating other
things in your winery, go ahead. I am
not the wine police I am merely making
suggestions.

On the contrary, there are no
known pathogens that exist in wine.

I don't believe the "cider" had enough
sugar to
make "wine". The words we

.."temp was bad and we had green mold on
top of the cider (just apple juice let
to ferment by itself, no yeast or other
additives)."

It's the
reason the Board of Health exempts
wineries from reqiurements of section
20C. Has anyone on this board heard of
anyone getting sick from bad wine?
Anyone?

Sick, yes, deadly - life threatening ill
no. Of course, to the best of my
knowledge, I have never drunk a low
alcohol beverage that had green mold
growing on it. To each his own. Happy