Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Mold on cider

wrote:

> I'm not worried about the derision. What worries
> me is advice given without any examples to back
> it up. Statements like " I wouldn't do that"
> without a reason why just doesn't cut it.
> Reasons like "That doesn't sound too appetizing"
> is not very scientific.
>
> Bob

Bob,

The reason I especially like this newsgroup is
because there is no (or very little) flaming. If
you want to see what some other newsgroups have
become, just visit some of the political or
computer newsgroups.

If you want some (non scientific) backing from me
it would be (IMHO), that mold WILL produce SOME
byproducts that may not be desireable in the
final product. Examples would be Brett and VA
infections not to mention some possible more
serious ones depending on part of the percnet
alcohol, pH etc.

There are a LOT of different kinds of mold and I
am not an expert and I doubt that is your case.
I will leave this topic to the experts.

From what I have read, green mold is
characteristic of Penicillian. Maybe that is
what is being grown by the OP, maybe not.
Maybe it would produce no harm, maybe not.

I am not a biologist and I do not know what
percentage of alcohol would protect a must from
byproducts that would affect the product (wine or
cider) in an adverse manner taste or possible
heath issues. The advice I gave errors on the
side of caution.

It may very well be the case that the advice you
gave is acceptable (in this particular case) but
can you be sure that it will cause no harm in all
cases? I think this is the question that should
be asked.

The OP is NOT talking about a LARGE quantity of
cider (wine), at least not by my definition. If
in doubt AND if the OP were making a LARGE
quantity of wine or cider, then I think the very
best advice I could give would be to send a
sample to a lab. Most labs are reasonable -
especially if we are talking about large volumes
of product. If we are NOT talking about large
volumes then I think my advice still stands.

I am quite sure you will disagree based on YOUR
experience but like the old saying goes "Your
mileage may vary.

I hope we can all benefit from a dialog and get
along. That is my primary concern.

Paul