Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Scheidt David Scheidt is offline

Default The Holidays are here

Christine Dabney > wrote:
:On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:13:31 -0700, sf wrote:

:><Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
:>all purpose>

:I wonder what altitude this was based at?

:One thing I have learned just recently, is that for many things baked
:at higher altitudes, you need a higher gluten flour, than say White
:Lily, or cake flour. Otherwise the structure of the baked product
:isn't supported without enough gluten in it...and it falls easily.
:This was news to me....and it makes sense to me...
:Which is why I am wondering if this comes from a higher altitude
:baker...

There's also substantial regional variation in flours. Flours sold
in the south tend to be lower in gluten than brands for the upper
midwest.