Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Dave Allison Dave Allison is offline

Default Mold on cider

Cents everyone has 2 pennies of advice, here is mine. :*) (yes, I know I
spelled it wrong)

Adding yeast would have helped. Possibly adding sugar, but it depends on
the S.G. With yeast so inexpensive, I would never let fruit or grapes
ferment on their own, though I realize that's the way they did it 2000
years ago, they also didn't have $.99 yeast packets available.

Some of the best grapes and fruit for making wine is over ripe, meaning
all kinds of mold and stuff is happening to them.

I also agree with several comments above about catching it quickly (not
4 months later) and racking out the top mold.

IMHO.

My apple cider wine was made two years ago and will be in the bottle
another year before it's close to ready. But it is promising!

I do appreciate learning from everyone's 2 cents - I got a pocket full
of change now a-days.
DAve