Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] doublesb@hotmail.com is offline

Default Mold on cider

The two Paul's in this thread would make good Republican Presidential
candidates. Instilling IRRATIONAL FEAR into anyone who ever came
across mold or a bad smelling wine. On the contrary, there are no
known pathogens that exist in wine. It's the reason the Board of
Health exempts wineries from reqiurements of section 20C. Has anyone
on this board heard of anyone getting sick from bad wine? Anyone?
Frederick mentioned the push down of the cap. Both Pauls have pushed
those "toxins" down into the wine hundreds of times and didn't even
know it. Those toxins are always there. Even SO2 doesn't kill them.
SO2 puts them in suspended animation until the SO2 levels drop. Bleach
would kill them but then there really would be "toxins" in the wine.
How many "toxins" have people drunk in this world when the SO2 levels
of the wine they are drinking become low?? Just because you can't see
them doesn't mean they are not there and it's ironic that the cap
keeps getting pushed into the fermenting must to kill them. Maybe the
fermentation does do something. Imagine that.

Bob