Gregory Gadow

Default Prepared meals for diabetics

BJ in Texas wrote:

> healthysweets wrote:
> > We are a group interested in creating a full line of frozen
> > foods for diabetics ( in consultation with diabetic
> > nutritionists )to be sold in the freezer section of major
> > supermarkets nationwide. We welcome your comments and
> > suggestions as we want to do this the right way and believe
> > our potential customers should have a say on the get-go of
> > this company.
> >
> > We are in the process of raising the financing as well, and
> > welcome any comments of interest in directly investing in the
> > company (or buying a territory ).
> >
> > Please share your thoughts with us.
> >

> You are likely in for a suprise and not one diet fits all diabetics.
> There are diabetics that follow the ADA exchange and carb
> food guidelines, many diabetics manage with a controlled carb
> intake that is significantly lower than the ADA recommendations.
> Sugar-free can often be meaningless in that context.

Too often, items labeled as "sugar-free" have more carbs than the full
sugar stuff. Case in point: hard candies made with sorbitol. Because
sugar alcohols are less sweet than sugars, manufacturers need to use
more. But gram per gram, sugar alcohols have the same amount of
carbohydrates as regular sugar. Further, different people metabolize
sugar alcohols differently. Most will see a slower rise in blood glucose
and a gentler spike. Some, though, will metabolize it quickly and see a
sharp rise. Some don't metabolize sugar alcohols at all and instead end
up with serious *ahem* intestinal upset.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin