Old 22-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Julie Bove

Default Sugar free candy question

"Wmkcross" wrote in message
I was always taught that a carb is a carb. Regardless of whether it is a

sugar
or not. When reading the carb counts of sugar free candies, I find that

they
have just as many carbs (if not more) than their sugary counterparts.
My question is. If the carbs are the same. Why not just eat the normal

stuff?
As Ricky would say to Lucy "Someone splain this to me"

Exactly! And the real stuff tastes better too. Alas, there is still a
large part of the population that still believes diabetics can't eat sugar.
This junk is marketed for them. Now the sugar free stuff might not promote
tooth decay, but in many people it also has a laxative effect. And for some
people, the sugar alcohols contained in such candy does not cause a rise in
BG. This is not true for everyone though.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/