Posted to alt.food.wine
Salil Salil is offline

Default Donnhoff Spatlese buying advice

On Oct 18, 11:17 pm, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> Go for the 2003's. :-)
> Wein-plus points and drinking times for the mentioned wines a
> 2003 Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese 92, till 2020
> 2004 Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese 87, till 2008
> 2004 Schlossbockelheim Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese n.a.
> 2004 Schlossbockelheim Kupfergrube Riesling Spatlese 84. till 2007 (Note
> that a wein-plus score of 84 is 'very good')
>
> Point levels for their other 2003's are significantly higher than for
> corresponding 2004's.
>
> However, your mileage may be different - I'd try them all :-)
>
> Anders

Yeah, eventually I'll have to try them all. I'm not a big believer in
points when Rieslings like these are concerned - I'm also more
interested in exploring the different nuances in each wine from
different vineyards rather than just finding the one with the highest
scores.

Did have the chance to open the 04 Felsenberg recently along with an
03 Kabinett. Both were closed (the bottles were opened at 3 pm) at
first, but after some patient waiting and an hour in the decanter
later in the evening, they started opening quite beautifully. The
Felsenberg was mesmerising. Amazingly pure, clean with a level of
complexity and subtlety I've very rarely come across.
I also picked up the Brucke - looking forward to exploring that over a
2-3 day period. Can't wait.

Salil