Alan

Default Learn To Cook

Learn to Cook
It's interesting to notice, in reading the various threads on diet, that
posters here seem to fall into one of three categories:
Those who enjoy cooking; those who cannot cook; and those who can cook,
but only do it because they have to.

My research after diagnosis led me to two startling revelations for an
obese T2. I needed to lose a lot of weight and I needed to control my
blood glucose. Of course, there are other factors, but those two were
paramount.

It is a never-ending task, but I believe it was much easier for me to
achieve reasonable weight and control because I am a person who enjoys
cooking. It allows me to be the one who controls what goes into the
recipe by type and quantity, to control the size of portions, and to
experiment by testing the results.

I can only imagine the stress it places on a relationship when the
diabetic is trying to tactfully tell the cook that the new dessert is
either too many carbs or so full of Splenda it tastes horrible. Or that
they now need five meals a day, and so on. Illness places enough stress
on relationships without that.

There is also a continual search by non-cooks for "safe" pre-prepared
foods in the supermarket, like the pop-corn thread at the moment, or
"safe" fast foods and restaurant foods.

Some people are forced to eat out, by work or local social requirement;
and fast or pre-prepared foods are convenient. But I am starting to
believe that one of the best things a diabetic can do for their health
is to cook for themselves at home.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.