Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Ripper math advice needed

Anyone have any advice / shortcuts on using Ripper method for determining
free SO2? Been struggling with the procedure layed out by Margalit. It's
terribly time consuming and full of opportunities for error - especially
first titrating for the normality factor of the iodine solution before even
titrating for the SO2.

Anyone have any shortcuts that are verifiable? Or alternative methods; short
of aeration-oxidation (I'm not clever enough to build the appratus!).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

test
Ric wrote:
> Anyone have any advice / shortcuts on using Ripper method for determining
> free SO2? Been struggling with the procedure layed out by Margalit. It's
> terribly time consuming and full of opportunities for error - especially
> first titrating for the normality factor of the iodine solution before even
> titrating for the SO2.
>
> Anyone have any shortcuts that are verifiable? Or alternative methods; short
> of aeration-oxidation (I'm not clever enough to build the appratus!).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ric,
Titrettes are a somewhat expensive alternative; they are a reverse
ripper. They have all of the same drawbacks as the ripper method
though. I don't do the ripper either, more due to laziness than
anything else...
Ric wrote:
> Anyone have any advice / shortcuts on using Ripper method for determining
> free SO2? Been struggling with the procedure layed out by Margalit. It's
> terribly time consuming and full of opportunities for error - especially
> first titrating for the normality factor of the iodine solution before even
> titrating for the SO2.
>
> Anyone have any shortcuts that are verifiable? Or alternative methods; short
> of aeration-oxidation (I'm not clever enough to build the appratus!).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ditto that - one concern I've heard / read; the titrettes are not altogether
accurate. True / false?

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ric,
> Titrettes are a somewhat expensive alternative; they are a reverse
> ripper. They have all of the same drawbacks as the ripper method
> though. I don't do the ripper either, more due to laziness than
> anything else...
> Ric wrote:
>> Anyone have any advice / shortcuts on using Ripper method for determining
>> free SO2? Been struggling with the procedure layed out by Margalit. It's
>> terribly time consuming and full of opportunities for error - especially
>> first titrating for the normality factor of the iodine solution before
>> even
>> titrating for the SO2.
>>
>> Anyone have any shortcuts that are verifiable? Or alternative methods;
>> short
>> of aeration-oxidation (I'm not clever enough to build the appratus!).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

True with reds, because they emulate the Ripper method. The problem
lies there. There should be some posts on this in the archives...

Joe

wrote:
> Ditto that - one concern I've heard / read; the titrettes are not altogether
> accurate. True / false?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> True with reds, because they emulate the Ripper method. The problem
> lies there. There should be some posts on this in the archives...

You may find section 14 of the SO2 Article at
http://www.brsquared.org/wine useful.

Ben

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ben,
Every time I go back to your site I learn something new, great work.
Much appreciated.

Joe

Ben Rotter wrote:
> > True with reds, because they emulate the Ripper method. The problem
> > lies there. There should be some posts on this in the archives...

> You may find section 14 of the SO2 Article at
> http://www.brsquared.org/wine useful.
>
> Ben

Oak Top Oil Advice Needed Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 7 27-11-2008 04:42 AM
Some advice needed Rodders Winemaking 2 07-10-2007 10:49 AM
Advice Needed Matthew Givens Winemaking 6 24-11-2005 03:05 PM
Advice Needed JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms General Cooking 0 03-11-2004 12:34 AM
Advice Needed Please Wayne Barbecue 50 10-07-2004 02:30 PM